Sunday, June 1, 2008

An Eye Gazes Towards Zion - עין לציון צופיה


Jerusalem Day, unification delayed. They tell us to celebrate our marriage when we are in the midst of a divorce. So with bitterness I celebrate my bride. They say she is destined to be handed over to salivating mujahadin. How can we dance with joy on our anniversary as that mosque looms over us as a monument to our destruction? We are to believe that 67’ was a miracle – but what sane person spits in the face of the One who has wrought miracles for him? Only us. Only do we gnash at the Hand that feeds us. Only do we starve ourselves and commit suicide, as we cast our beloved into an unsavory den of wolves. The contemptible man officiating over the separation is embroiled in scandal, yet we pay no heed to that… just as those on the Indian subcontinent have their widowed wives dive into funeral pyres so too does the world desire that we set our eternal zvug aflame and destroy ourselves in the process. When will my family awaken from its morbid slumber? When will my mishpocha scream at me, halting the self destructive path whose forces I seem to be incapable of resisting? Would they actually allow this dreadful horror to proceed? I think they would…. During our honeymoon they built us a warm nest. But the nest was infested with all kinds of abominations. The marriage contract was ignored. The grounds on which our holy union was built eroded. Instead of evicting those pests they allowed them to proliferate. No, we built not a holy sanctuary for the Divine presence to dwell between us…. we strengthened the hold of vermin squatters in the name of alien deities. Oh Jerusalem. I have forgotten you. My right hand has withered away and crumbled into the Gazan sands. Please my precious bride forgive me. Though I do not deserve you, please, let us cry out in unison, let the trumpets wail, let the sirens sound, let our people awaken and see how low we’ve fallen… so that the Creator may have compassion on us, so that we can finally crown you in precious splendor, so that nations may peacefully stream towards you seeking your welfare and wisdom. Oh Jerusalem of stone, of material, of chomer and gashmius, let us anoint you with form, tzelem, ruchnius. May the Holy One Blessed Be He sanctify our matrimony with haste, before there is nothing left once more but waste…

No comments: